Pages

Sunday 29 April 2012

Red capsicum & lime marmalata, and grilled ricotta.

Even though the price of red capsicums hasn't gone dow to their usual late summer levels this year, there's one preserve I have to make - roasted red capsium and lime marmalata (marmellata).  Only trouble is that it's also a favourite of husband Russ, so before I knew it he'd consumed (almost single handedly) a whole jar over two days; marmelata on bacon, with cheese on biscuits, with creme fraiche and hot smoked salmon and..and. It is delicious, though I'm going to have to get smarter, obviously, and secrete some away.




The recipe is in my 'Vegetarian Kitchen' anyway, but here it is below as well.

 RED CAPSICUM & LIME MARMALATA
This ‘marmalade’ is such a gorgeous, eye - catching red that it’s almost a surprise to find it tastes as good as it looks. It’s a hit as a topping for crackers spread with cream cheese, but use it as you please – there won’t be a shortage of ideas once it’s tasted.
*If kaffir lime leaves are not available, use young lime leaves or the pared and finely julienned zest from an extra lime or lemon. 

8 large red capsicums
1 cup orange juice, no preservatives or added sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp peeled and minced ginger (prepared)
3 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
½ - ¾ tsp chilli powder
5 bay leaves, preferably fresh
1 branch tip of kaffir lime leaves, 12-14 whole leaves*
Thinly pared rind of 2 lemons, finely julienned or use a zester
Juice of two lemons

Preheat oven to 225 C.
Place the capsicums on a baking tray and roast for about 25 minutes or until the skins are blistered and blackening. Remove from the oven and cool until they can be handled (place in plastic bag if you wish, but this is not necessary). Peel, and discard the core and seeds. Chop finely.
Place all the ingredients into a heavy based saucepan, bring to simmer point and cook for 30-40 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and is the consistency of jam.
Discard the kaffir lime and bay leaves using tongs.
Spoon into hot, sterilized jars and screw on hot sterilized metal screw- on lids.

The marmalata is also great with home-made ricotta on rye, which reminds me that I stumbled upon a really easy nibble this week. I'd made some ricotta and have had so many guests and visitors lately that I haven't had a lot of time to cook anything other than main meals - but I just mixed some ricotta with crushed garlic, fresh pizza thyme leaves, sea salt and coarsely ground pepper, transferred it to a ramekin, drizzled virgin olive oil over the top and grilled it so it was soft and squishy and spread deliciously  - soooo good. Then I trialled it again, but this time lightly sauteed finely chopped garlic in the virgin oil before mixing it in the ricotta with the thyme, (oregano is nice too) salt and pepper before grilling. Really don't know which I prefer, so hopefully someone out there will try and let me know what they think!

I've been trialling for a mid-winter Xmas shoot next Monday, too - a full menu, so time is a little pressured. Today, however, I am definitely setting aside for making my Life's Too Short Marmalade - just because I can't live without it, that's all there is to be said, really. Just email me if you want the recipe. . .


1 comment:

Alessandra said...

I love this, and you posted it on my birthday too :-).

Nice to arrive to your blog finally, Didn't make it before, but now here I am and following:-)

Ciao
Alessandra
http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.co.nz/


PS
I am putting more recipes on with the Fresh As powders and dried fruit :-).